Here is an article from Kaje, one of our main contributors on the forum.
I’ve been having a think about potential changes Big Eck could make to try and win back some pride and, more importantly, some points.
Here’s what I’ve come up with so far. Feel free to discuss, agree, disagree or add!
1) Drop Carr. I’m sorry, but he needs to be dropped. It’s not because he’s crap, but he’s carrying what must be a very painful injury and it’s showing in his performances. Get Jiranek or Parnaby in there please.
2) Drop this 4-5-1 crap. I understand that you’re playing it to ‘win the midfield battle’ but we’ve lost the ‘midfield battle’ for the last three games you’ve tried it. So let’s move it on now, shall we?
3) Obviously ‘Dave’ Beausejour was injured for yesterday’s game – but he needs to be the first name on the teamsheet. Without him, we have no pace and no wide threat.
4) Jerome IS NOT A LONE STRIKER. He just does not have the ability to play in a lone striker role. He needs a strike partner, so let’s see more of a Zigic/Jerome partnership please.
5) Stop playing the high balls to Zigic. Yes, I understand he’s a giant amongst men – but it could very well be a Crouch situation. When Villa signed Crouch, they tried to use his height and it just didn’t pay off. He went to Liverpool, they played it to his feet, and the rest is history. He’s now a fairly regular goalscorer for England and Tottenham. Zigic might see his height as more a disadvantage than a positive attribute, let’s try playing to feet and see what happens. It can’t be much worse than at the moment.
6) Consider Bowyer’s position within the team. For me, he’s slowly losing his physicality and that was really his only ever asset. I’d very much like to see the continued Gardner/Ferguson partnership, but until he’s back in selection contention let’s see Michel given the run alongside Barry. Please. He’s a much better passer and creator than Bowyer.
7) Fahey. Just no. Fahey, for me, is a central attacking midfielder. This does not mean he has the ability to play out wide – ever. He’s not a substitute for ANY winger, let alone a left one.
8 ) If Beausejour is out for another game, rather than use (ha, use?) Fahey, let’s try shifting Larsson to wide left (he’s done that before) and play Redmond. He’s young, sharp, quick, hungry and could well show up some of the current crop of first teamers in passion and drive.
9) Stop the long ball from Foster. Please. Foster plays a very similar distribution game to Maik Taylor. He boots it long (too long) and often wide – and usually to an opposing player. Let’s try the short kick, short pass, roll-out or throw a little more please. Let’s build from the back rather than lose possession straight away.
10) For the love of God use your damn subs. None of this 89th minute balls, if we need a change then CHANGE IT.
11) I can understand using the same team after a loss and giving them a chance to prove themselves. They didn’t. So why pick the same team for a third time in a row? They had their chance, they blew it, you change things around to freshen things up and – hopefully – give some fresh ideas.
12) Don’t say that the crowd is unfair when they boo YOU for being stubborn and ultimately costing us points because of it. Please. That’s not our fault.